Pixy CMUcam5 Image Sensor Computer Vision Sensor
Ever wanted your microcontroller to sense images without eating up all your processor speed? Or wish that you had an image sensor that wasn't limited to RGB - but could sense hue and saturation as well? Or just want a kickstarted, open source camera sensor with a cool name? Enter the Pixy CMUCam - an image sensor for your microcontroller that you can teach what to look for.
The Pixy CMUCam5 is an image sensor with a powerful processor that you can program to only send the information you're looking for so your microcontroller isn't overwhelmed by data. The Pixy CMUCam also exports its information in a variety of useful ways - UART serial, SPI, I2C, digital out, or analog out - so your microcontroller can communicate easily while still doing other tasks. It's so unobtrusive that you can even hook up multiple Pixy CMUCams to one microcontroller!
Pixy is a smart vision sensor you can quickly "teach" your robot to find objects. It saves your time by only outputting the object data you're interested in. Pixy is flexible - use it with the microcontroller of your choice. It connects directly to Arduino with the included cable, and fully supports Raspberry Pi and BeagleBone Black with included software libraries. It comes with mounting hardware to attach to your robot creation. The firmware, software and hardware are open source, so you can tweak to your heart's delight. Free tech support is included on the CMUcam wiki!
- Small, fast, easy-to-use, low-cost, readily-available vision system
- Learns to detect objects that you teach it
- Outputs what it detects 50 times per second
- Connects to Arduino with included cable. Also works with Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone and similar controllers
- All libraries for Arduino, Raspberry Pi, etc. are provided
- C/C++ and Python are supported
- Communicates via one of several interfaces: SPI, I2C, UART, USB or analog/digital output
- Configuration utility runs on Windows, MacOS and Linux
- All software/firmare is open-source GNU-licensed
- All hardware documentation including schematics, bill of materials, PCB layout, etc. are provided
- Can be used for all kinds of cool projects
The Pixy CMUCam5 also uses hue and saturation as its primary means of image detection - rather than the normal RGB. This means that lighting or exposure won't affect the Pixy CMUCam's detection of an item - which is a frustrating problem with many image sensors. It's also a vast improvement over previous versions of the Pixy CMUCam, adding increased flexibility when it comes to lighting and exposure changes.
It can also remember seven different color signatures, find hundreds of objects at the same time, and is super fast - processing at 50 frames a second. Finally, the Pixy CMUCam is also teachable so you can set it up to only send you images that you've specifically told it to look for. It's easy and fast and has an open source application called PixyMon.
Each Pixy CMUcam5 Sensor comes with a 6-pin-to-10-pin IDC cable and mounting tabs and screws.
- Dimensions (no IDC cable, no screws): 50mm x 54mm x 2mm / 2" x 2.1" x 0.08"
- Height of Camera: 25mm / 1"
- Front two screw holes: 19mm apart / 0.75"
- Back two screw holes: 47mm apart / 1.85"
- Weight (no IDC cable, no screws): 25.5g
- For more information, check out the Pixy CMUCam5 wiki!
- Processor: NXP LPC4330, 204 MHz, dual core
- Image sensor: Omnivision OV9715, 1/4”, 1280x800
- Lens field-of-view: 75 degrees horizontal, 47 degrees vertical
- Lens type: standard M12 (several different types available)
- Power consumption: 140 mA typical
- Power input: USB input (5V) or unregulated input (6V TO 10V)
- RAM: 264K bytes
- Flash: 1M bytes
- Available data outputs: UART serial, SPI, I2C, USB, digital, analog
- Dimensions: 2.1” x 1.75” x 1.4”
Comment on this product
Just so you know; all our prices include GST, orders over $100.00 qualify for free shipping. Everything that is in stock (green tick icon) ships overnight on CourierPost. A lot of things that have the "blue question mark" stock icon are actually available now direct from our suppliers, please feel free to ask us if you aren't sure.
All our products are sourced through official channels, and come with a manufacturers warranty. Here's our returns policy if you'd like to read it before purchasing.