Pololu 4.5-20V Fine-Adjust Step-Up Voltage Regulator U3V70A
This powerful synchronous switching boost regulator efficiently generates a finely adjustable output voltage between 4.5 V to 20 V from an input voltage as low as 2.9 V while using an input current as high as 8 A. This regulator features reverse voltage protection, and unlike most boost regulators, it offers a true shutdown option that turns off power to the load.
The U3V70x boost (step-up) voltage regulators are high-current, high-efficiency synchronous switching regulators that generate higher output voltages from input voltages as low as 2.9 V. The regulators actively limit the instantaneous input currents to 10 A, and the input current can typically be as high as 8 A for several seconds before the thermal protection activates. Input currents of around 6 A can typically be maintained for many minutes without triggering thermal shutdown, though the actual performance depends on depending on the input and output voltages as well as external factors such as ambient temperature and airflow. For boost regulators, the output current equals the input current times the efficiency times the ratio of VIN to VOUT, so the more you are boosting, the lower the maximum output current will be.
These regulators feature a variety of built-in protections, including reverse voltage protection to keep your load safe in the event power is accidentally connected backward, and unlike most boost regulators, these units offer a true shutdown option that turns off power to the load (with typical boost regulators, the input voltage will pass directly through to the output when they are disabled).
Features and specifications
- Input voltage: 2.9 V to VOUT
- Output voltage: 4.5 V to 20 V (precision-adjustable using built-in 12-turn potentiometer)
- True shutdown option turns off power to the load
- Typical efficiency of 80% to 95%, depending on input voltage, output voltage, and load
- 10 A switch allows for:
- Instantaneous input currents up to 10 A
- Input currents up to 8 A for several seconds
- Input currents around 6 A to 7 A for prolonged durations, depending on input voltage and output voltage
- low quiescent current for most combinations of input and output voltages (but it rises significantly boosting from under 3.5 V to over 13 V)
- Integrated protections:
- Reverse voltage protection
- Short-circuit protection with hiccup recovery
- Over-temperature shutoff
- Under-voltage lockout (typical thresholds are 2.4 V falling, 2.8 V rising)
- Cycle-by-cycle input current limiting to 10 A
- Compact size: 1.6″ × 0.6″ × 0.22″ (40.6 × 15.2 × 5.5 mm)
- Weight: 3.9 g
- Two mounting holes for #2 or M2 screws
- Smaller holes for 0.1″ header pins and larger holes for terminal blocks offer several options for connecting to the board
The input voltage, VIN, must be at least 2.9 V and should not exceed the output voltage, VOUT. (If VIN is higher than VOUT, the higher input voltage will show up on the output, which is potentially dangerous for your connected load and could also damage the regulator.)
The regulator is enabled by default: a 100 kΩ pull-up resistor on the board connects the ENABLE pin to reverse-protected VIN. The ENABLE pin can be driven low (under 0.4 V) to turn off power to the load and put the board into a low-power state. The quiescent current draw in this sleep mode is dominated by the current in the pull-up resistor from ENABLE to VIN, which will draw 10 µA per volt on VIN when ENABLE is held low, and by the reverse-protection circuit, which draws current when VIN exceeds 7 V. The current draw of the reverse-protection circuit is independent of the state of ENABLE and is given by (VIN – 7 V)/100 kΩ.
This regulator offers several options for making electrical connections. The nine smaller through-holes on the ends of the board are arranged with a 0.1″ spacing for compatibility with solderless breadboards, connectors, and other prototyping arrangements that use a 0.1″ grid. The included 0.1″ male header can be broken or cut into smaller pieces as desired and soldered into these smaller through-holes. Alternatively, the included terminal blocks can be soldered into the larger holes to allow for convenient temporary connections of unterminated wires (see our short video on terminal block installation). You can also solder wires directly to the board for the most compact installation.
(Pololu product 2890)
Comment on this product
Just so you know; all our prices include GST, orders over $100.00 qualify for free shipping. Everything that is in stock (green tick icon) ships overnight on CourierPost. A lot of things that have the "blue question mark" stock icon are actually available now direct from our suppliers, please feel free to ask us if you aren't sure.
All our products are sourced through official channels, and come with a manufacturers warranty. Here's our returns policy if you'd like to read it before purchasing.