Pololu High-Power Stepper Motor Driver 36v4
This discrete MOSFET stepper motor driver enables control of one bipolar stepper motor. It supports a wide 8 V to 50 V operating voltage range and can deliver up to 4 A continuous per phase without a heat sink or forced air flow (6 A max with sufficient additional cooling). The SPI interface allows configuration of the current limiting, step mode (9 step modes from full-step through 1/256-step), decay mode, and stall detection. The driver also provides back-EMF feedback that can be used for more advanced control and stall detection algorithms. Additional features include reverse-voltage, under-voltage, and over-current protection.
The Pololu High-Power Stepper Motor Driver 36v4 combines the DRV8711 stepper motor driver IC from Texas Instruments with external MOSFETs to enable control of large bipolar stepper motors at operating voltages from 8 V to 50 V. The DRV8711 has many configurable settings, so please see the DRV8711 datasheet (3MB pdf) for a detailed explanation of its features and how to use them (we also have an Arduino library that simplifies getting started by providing basic functions for configuring and operating the driver).
The driver’s power performance is a function of the external dual H-bridges, which allow the driver to deliver continuous currents up to 4 A per phase without any additional cooling such as heat sinks or forced air flow. (With sufficient additional cooling, the driver can support currents up to around 6 A per phase.
- Wide 8 V to 50 V operating voltage range
- High-power: can deliver up to 4 A continuous per phase without extra cooling (6 A max with sufficient additional cooling)
- Highly configurable through SPI interface
- Optional STEP/DIR control pins (stepping can also be controlled through SPI interface alone)
- Nine different step resolutions down to 256 microsteps: full-step, half-step, 1/4-step, 1/8-step, 1/16-step, 1/32-step, 1/64-step, 1/128-step, and 1/256-step
- Adjustable current control lets you set the maximum current output, enabling the use of voltages above your stepper motor’s rated voltage to achieve higher step rates
- Adaptive blanking time, adjustable decay times, and various current decay modes enable the creation of ultra-smooth motion profiles through the SPI interface
- Optional STALL output enables stall detection when microstepping
- Optional BEMF output enables more advanced control and stall detection algorithms based on the back EMF of the stepper motor
- Driver supports alternate operating mode for controlling two brushed DC motors with PWM inputs instead of one bipolar stepper motor with STEP/DIR inputs
- Inputs compatible with 1.8 V, 3.3 V, and 5 V logic
- Digital outputs are all open drain with pull-ups to externally supplied IOREF voltage for use with non-5V systems (IOREF can be connected to neighboring 5V OUT pin for use with 5V systems)
- Under-voltage lockout, over-current protection, short circuit protection, and reverse-voltage protection (up to 40 V)
- Arduino library and example sketches are available that provide basic functions for configuring and operating the driver
This product ships with all surface-mount components installed as shown in the product picture. However, soldering is required for assembly of the included through-hole parts. The following through-hole parts are included:
- Two 1×12-pin breakaway 0.1″ male header
- Three 2-pin, 3.5 mm terminal blocks (for board power and motor outputs)
- One 0.1″ shorting block (for optionally connecting IOREF to neighboring V5 pin when using this driver in 5 V systems)
The 0.1″ male headers can be broken or cut into smaller pieces as desired and soldered into the smaller through-holes. These headers are compatible with solderless breadboards, 0.1″ female connectors, and our premium and pre-crimped jumper wires. The terminal blocks can be soldered into the larger holes to allow for convenient temporary connections of unterminated power and motor wires (see the short video on terminal block installation). You can also solder your motor leads and other connections directly to the board for the most compact installation.
(Pololu product 3730)
Comment on this product
Just so you know; all our prices include GST, orders over $100.00 qualify for free shipping. Everything that is in stock (green tick icon) ships overnight on CourierPost. A lot of things that have the "blue question mark" stock icon are actually available now direct from our suppliers, please feel free to ask us if you aren't sure.
All our products are sourced through official channels, and come with a manufacturers warranty. Here's our returns policy if you'd like to read it before purchasing.