Pololu - Jrk G2 21v3 USB Motor Controller with Feedback (Connectors Soldered)
The Jrk G2 21v3 USB Motor Controller with Feedback (Connectors Soldered) is a compact motor controller that makes closed-loop speed or position (but not both!) control of a brushed DC motor easy, with quick configuration over USB using our free software. It supports five control interfaces: USB, TTL serial, I²C, analog voltage (potentiometer), and hobby radio control (RC). This version offers a 4.5 V to 28 V operating range and can deliver continuous output currents up to 2.6 A (5 A peak) without a heat sink. This version ships with soldered header pins and terminal blocks.
With integrated support for analog voltage or tachometer (frequency) feedback, the second-generation G2 family of Jrk motor controllers makes it easy to add closed-loop control of speed or position (but not both!) of a single brushed DC motor to a variety of projects. These versatile, general-purpose modules support five different control interfaces: USB for direct connection to a computer, TTL serial and I²C for use with a microcontroller, RC hobby servo pulses for use in an RC system, and analog voltages for use with a potentiometer or analog joystick. They also offer many settings that can be configured using our free configuration software utility for Windows, Linux, and macOS. This software simplifies initial setup of the device and allows for in-system testing and monitoring of the controller via USB (a micro-B USB cable is required to connect the Jrk G2 to a computer).
Main features of the Jrk G2 family
- Easy open-loop or closed-loop control of one brushed DC motor
- A variety of control interfaces:
- USB for direct connection to a computer
- TTL serial operating at 5 V for use with a microcontroller
- I²C for use with a microcontroller
- RC hobby servo pulses for use in an RC system
- Analog voltage for use with a potentiometer or analog joystick
- Feedback options:
- Analog voltage (0 V to 5 V), for making a closed-loop servo system
- Frequency, for closed-loop speed control using pulse counting (for higher-frequency feedback) or pulse timing (for lower-frequency feedback)
- None, for open-loop speed control
- Note: the Jrk does support using quadrature encoders for position control
- Ultrasonic 20 kHz PWM for quieter operation (can be configured to use 5 kHz instead)
- Simple configuration and calibration over USB with free configuration software utility (for Windows, Linux, and macOS)
- Configurable parameters include:
- PID period and PID coefficients (feedback tuning parameters)
- Maximum current
- Maximum duty cycle
- Maximum acceleration and deceleration
- Error response
- Input calibration (learning) for analog and RC control
- Optional CRC error detection eliminates communication errors caused by noise or software faults
- Reversed-power protection
- Field-upgradeable firmware
- Optional feedback potentiometer disconnect detection
Details for item #3143
The Jrk G2 21v3 operates from 4.5 V to 28 V and can deliver a continuous output current of 2.6 A (5 A peak) without a heat sink. The controller supports transient operation (< 500 ms) up to 40 V, and the maximum recommended nominal battery voltage is 24 V. This version is sold with connectors soldered, so no soldering is necessary to use it.
Comparison to the original Jrk motor controllers
The Jrk G2 family features a number of improvements compared to our original two Jrk motor controllers (21v3 and 12v12). Most importantly, the Jrk G2 controllers support both higher operating voltages and larger output currents while being even more compact than their predecessors. Other new features include:
- Configurable hardware current limiting on higher-power versions – the motor drivers on the Jrk G2 18v19, 18v27, 24v13, and 24v21 use current chopping to actively limit the motor current when it exceeds a software-configurable threshold (the Jrk G2 21v3 has fixed hardware current limiting and optional software current limiting)
- More accurate speed control at low tachometer frequencies
- I²C interface provides an additional control option
- VIN measurement capability allows monitoring of battery or power supply
- USB Micro-B connector (instead of Mini-B as on the original Jrk controllers)
- Configurable deceleration limiting (the original Jrks just supported configurable acceleration limiting)
- PID coefficients can now be adjusted on the fly over the serial, I²C, and USB interfaces
The Jrk G2 controllers are not drop-in replacements for the original Jrk controllers because of differences in their form factors and pin arrangements, although wiring changes should be straightforward. The Jrk G2 serial protocol is compatible with (and generally a superset of) the original Jrk serial protocol, so in many cases, serial interface software running on a microcontroller or computer will not need to be modified to work with a Jrk G2.
(Pololu product 3143)
Comment on this product
Just so you know; all our prices include GST, orders over $100.00 qualify for free shipping. Everything that is in stock (green tick icon) ships overnight on CourierPost. A lot of things that have the "blue question mark" stock icon are actually available now direct from our suppliers, please feel free to ask us if you aren't sure.
All our products are sourced through official channels, and come with a manufacturers warranty. Here's our returns policy if you'd like to read it before purchasing.