Pololu - TB67S249FTG Stepper Motor Driver Carrier
This breakout board makes it easy to use Toshiba’s TB67S249FTG microstepping bipolar stepper motor driver, which features adjustable current limiting and seven microstep resolutions (down to 1/32-step). In addition, it dynamically selects an optimal decay mode by monitoring the actual motor current, and it can automatically reduce the driving current below the full amount when the motor is lightly loaded to minimize power and heat. The TB67S249FTG has a wide operating voltage range of 10 V to 47 V and can deliver approximately 1.7 A per phase continuously without a heat sink or forced air flow (up to 4.5 A peak). It features built-in protection against under-voltage, over-current, and over-temperature conditions; our carrier board also adds reverse-voltage protection (up to 40 V).
This product is a carrier board or breakout board for Toshiba’s TB67S2x9FTG family of stepper motor drivers; we therefore recommend careful reading of the corresponding driver’s datasheet before using this product. This stepper motor driver lets you control one bipolar stepper motor and is available in two different versions: the TB67S249FTG can deliver about 1.7 A per phase continuously (4.5 A peak), and the TB67S279FTG can deliver about 1.2 A per phase continuously (2 A peak).
Here are some of the board’s key features:
- Simple step and direction control interface
- Seven different step modes: full-step, non-circular half-step, circular half-step, 1/4-step, 1/8-step, 1/16-step, and 1/32-step
- Adjustable current control lets you set the maximum current output with a potentiometer, which lets you use voltages above your stepper motor’s rated voltage to achieve higher step rates
- Advanced Dynamic Mixed Decay (ADMD) dynamically switches between slow and fast decay modes by monitoring the state of current decay (not according to fixed timing)
- Configurable Active Gain Control (AGC) automatically reduces drive current to minimize power consumption and heat generation when maximum torque is not needed
- Motor supply voltage: 10 V to 47 V
- Maximum continuous current per phase without additional cooling:
- TB67S249FTG: 1.7 A (4.5 A peak)
- TB67S279FTG: 1.2 A (2 A peak)
- Built-in regulator (no external logic voltage supply needed)
- Can interface directly with 3.3 V and 5 V systems
- Under-voltage lockout and protection against over-current/short-circuit and over-temperature
- Open-load detection
- Active-low error outputs indicate over-current, over-temperature, or open-load condition
- Carrier board adds reverse-voltage protection up to 40 V
- Compact size (1.0″ × 1.4″)
- Exposed solderable ground pad below the driver IC on the bottom of the PCB
This version uses a TB67S249FTG driver and can deliver approximately 1.7 A per phase continuously without a heat sink or forced air flow (up to 4.5 A peak). It can be distinguished by the marking “S249FTG” on the driver IC.
For more information about this driver, please read the TB67S249FTG datasheet (533k pdf).
This product ships with all surface-mount components—including the TB67S2x9FTG driver IC—installed as shown in the product picture. However, soldering is required for assembly of the included through-hole parts: two 1×15-pin breakaway 0.1″ male headers and three 2-pin, 3.5 mm terminal blocks (for board power and motor outputs).
The 0.1″ male header can be broken or cut into smaller pieces as desired and soldered into the smaller through-holes. These headers are compatible with solderless breadboards, 0.1″ female connectors, and our premium and pre-crimped jumper wires. The terminal blocks can be soldered into the larger holes to allow for convenient temporary connections of unterminated power and stepper motor wires. You can also solder your motor leads and other connections directly to the board for the most compact installation.
(Pololu product 2973)
Comment on this product
Just so you know; all our prices include GST, orders over $100.00 qualify for free shipping. Everything that is in stock (green tick icon) ships overnight on CourierPost. A lot of things that have the "blue question mark" stock icon are actually available now direct from our suppliers, please feel free to ask us if you aren't sure.
All our products are sourced through official channels, and come with a manufacturers warranty. Here's our returns policy if you'd like to read it before purchasing.