Pololu - Tic 36v4 USB Multi-Interface High-Power Stepper Motor Controller (Connectors Soldered)
The Pololu - Tic 36v4 USB Multi-Interface High-Power Stepper Motor Controller (Connectors Soldered) makes basic control of a stepper motor easy, with quick configuration over USB using our free software. The controller supports six control interfaces: USB, TTL serial, I²C, analog voltage (potentiometer), quadrature encoder, and hobby radio control (RC). This version incorporates a discrete MOSFET stepper motor driver, and it ships with soldered header pins and terminal blocks. It can operate from 8 V to 50 V and can deliver up to approximately 4 A per phase without a heat sink or forced air flow (or 6 A max with sufficient additional cooling).
The Tic family of stepper motor controllers makes it easy to add basic control of a bipolar stepper motor to a variety of projects. These versatile, general-purpose modules support six different control interfaces: USB for direct connection to a computer, TTL serial and I²C for use with a microcontroller, RC hobby servo pulses for use in an RC system, analog voltages for use with a potentiometer or analog joystick, and quadrature encoder for use with a rotary encoder dial. They also offer many settings that can be configured using our free configuration utility (for Windows, Linux, and macOS). This software simplifies initial setup of the device and allows for in-system testing and monitoring of the controller via USB (a micro-B USB cable is required to connect the Tic to a computer).
Features and specifications
- Open-loop speed or position control of one bipolar stepper motor
- A variety of control interfaces:
- USB for direct connection to a computer
- TTL serial operating at 5 V for use with a microcontroller
- I²C for use with a microcontroller
- RC hobby servo pulses for use in an RC system
- Analog voltage for use with a potentiometer or analog joystick
- Quadrature encoder input for use with a rotary encoder dial, allowing full rotation without limits (not for position feedback)
- STEP/DIR inputs for compatibility with existing stepper motor control firmware
- Acceleration and deceleration limiting
- Maximum stepper speed: 50,000 steps per second
- Very slow speeds down to 1 step every 200 seconds (or 1 step every 1428 seconds with reduced resolution).
- Selectable microstep modes up to 1/256-step resolution:
- The Tic 36v4 supports full-step to 1/256-step modes
- The Tic T825, Tic T834, and T249 support full-step to 1/32-step modes
- The Tic T500 supports full-step to 1/8-step modes
- Digitally adjustable current limit
- Optional safety controls to avoid unexpectedly powering the motor
- Input calibration (learning) and adjustable scaling degree for analog and RC signals
- 5 V regulator (no external logic voltage supply needed)
- Optional limit switch inputs with homing capabilities
- Optional kill switch inputs
- STEP/DIR outputs for controlling external stepper motor drivers
- Connects to a computer through USB via a USB A to Micro-B cable (not included)
- Free configuration software available for Windows, Linux, and macOS
- Arduino library makes it easy to get started using these controllers with an Arduino or compatible board
- Comprehensive user’s guide
Details for item #3140
The Tic 36v4 High-Power Stepper Motor Controller uses discrete MOSFET H-bridges, allowing it to control large stepper motors that demand more current than typical integrated drivers can handle, but it matches the compact form factor of our lower-power Tic controllers. It supports nine microstepping modes with as small as 1/256-step resolution, as well as various current decay modes, including an automatic mixed decay mode. The Tic 36v4 can operate from 8 V to 50 V and can deliver up to approximately 4 A continuous per phase without a heat sink or forced air flow (6 A max with sufficient additional cooling). This version is sold with connectors soldered so no soldering is necessary to use it.
A version is also available with header pins and terminal blocks included but not soldered.
(Pololu product 3140)
Comment on this product
Just so you know; all our prices include GST, orders over $100.00 qualify for free shipping. Everything that is in stock (green tick icon) ships overnight on CourierPost. A lot of things that have the "blue question mark" stock icon are actually available now direct from our suppliers, please feel free to ask us if you aren't sure.
All our products are sourced through official channels, and come with a manufacturers warranty. Here's our returns policy if you'd like to read it before purchasing.